Friday, September 11, 2015

May 2015

Dear Teaching Friends,
May is here and recital is also coming up quickly.  After so many years of teaching I still get stressed out about students being "recital ready."
I have to remind myself that every other year they are ready for recital by the time recital comes.  But I think more than anything I'm worried for them so that they can come away and be proud of what they have accomplished and performed at recital.  I wish all of you the best for your year ends as they come to completion.

Speaking of studio year ends now's the time to think of the fall:
 -  Updating your website with new information about upcoming classes for the fall.
- Giving try-it classes
- Flyers in new housing divisions
- Summer camps
- flyers and newspaper ads
- offering incentives to parents who come back to talk about you and your studio and what you have to offer with their friends.  What kind of incentives?  A month's free lessons if a friend of theirs registers, or a gift card. 
- impromtu music class at playgrounds and out door water parks.

Advertising starts now for the fall. Last year in BC we had a teachers strike at the beginning of September I went around my area offering a music camp during the strike. Although I didn't have any camps there were a few students who registered for the lessons. So all in all it was a success.

And back to talking about websites:  Berva Warkenton in Langley BC has a new great website up. It's pretty impressive.  Also check out her registration forms as they are really clear and informative.  I'm taking some of her ideas into my forms.

Have a great recital! 

Musicallyours,

Lois Dicknoether
Solo Time Music Games
info@solotimemusicgames.com 

Solo Time Music Games
are designed to instill a life long passion 
and understanding of music and its concepts 
through a fun hands on experience.

 Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFind us on Google+View our videos on YouTubeFind us on Pinterest  
Teachers Notebook
  
There is a free new product for the next little while called "Kite Words. "
New this month! MYC critter note review
Year end also means going through your studio and cleaning up.  I go through my games  and replace (or give to new teachers just starting out)
my pdf files and flashcards and print up new ones if there is a need.

If you have any Solo Time Flash Card Games and the flash cards need to be refreshed let me know as they are available to purchase separately
 from the games for $2.00 a page.   Many have been updated over the years and are newer and more colourful.

Finally, I have gotten around to completing this project and
testing it with my students.
This note review game has fourteen pages designed for beginning students in the Sunshine 1 and 2 and Sunbeam 1 and 2 levels.
There are seven colourful Critter Game Boards with seven pages of notes. Students name the notes and place the correct note on the game board.
The  Edyth the Elk game has been such a favorite with my girl students that I had to print a second one so there wasn't any conflict in class!

Take a look at it - Critters for MYC

No comments: