Saturday, November 24, 2012

There is a chill in the air and Christmas songs have begun to be practiced. It's hard to believe that the holiday season is only weeks away. I was shopping this week and noticed that Christmas music is already playing in the sound systems at the mall. I'm not sure I'm ready for all the hustle and bustle yet.
A quick reminder:  If you didn't get it last month, the Santa Beard Christmas incentive is still available on my website. My students are quite excited each week to glue cotton puffs to their Santa's beard for every time they practice.  

I love visiting other teachers' studios; I get inspired by their creativity. This summer, I visited LaVonnie Steger's studio in Cloverdale B.C.  She had the 60 Second Club chart on the wall and plays it with a twist that I had never thought of. Read about it below.  

Pin it to Win it Contest
is open until the end of November.
 How do you enter?

It's simple. Just "Repin", "Retweet", "Repost", "Share" or "Like" anything to do with Solo Time Music Games and you could WIN 26 pages of easy to do, quick to print up, play or display MYC-themed activities.
 These digital .pdf format activity pages are geared for ages 3 to 8 and include note naming games,  matching rests and take up only minimal amounts of important class time.  These pages help your students enjoy creating the happy habit of learning music theory!
Keep safe as the roads begin to get slippery with snow and ice. And stay warm!
Lois Dicknoether
Solo Time Music Games
info@solotimemusicgames.com 

Solo Time Music Games
are designed to instill a life long passion 
and understanding of music and its concepts 
through a fun hands on experience.

 Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFind us on Google+View our videos on YouTubeFind us on Pinterest  
60 Second Club

LaVonnie Steger's 60 Second Club inspired me to do this incentive again.  
She does it every week and the whole class participates by naming flashcards. Whenever the class gets to the prize portion on the chart they get one little candy, like a Smartie or a jujube. 
Nothing big or fancy is offered in prizes for this activity but it is a lot of fun.  When my students reach the top of the chart I plan to give them bigger prizes. But that's still a secret.

I started this game in September and it's now November. It looks like it's going to take us a while to reach the top. Students look forward to the last few minutes in class where they name as many notes (in as loud a voice) as they can in only 60 seconds. This activity has turned out to be the surprise hit of the year!

For flashcards I use the giant cards from Wendy at Compose Create. Then I found a great site that had giant Solfege hand signs and put in the ones that we are using in Solfege.
Here is a picture of Lavonnie's and the link to print off the one I created. 60 Second Club
Circle of 5th's
Circle of 5th's
Only $1.99 for tons of learning with this hands
on manipulative teaching aid.
 FREE when you purchase the Circle of 5th's you will receive the complimentary addition of 7 sharps and 7 flats to complete the Circle of 5th's for your more advanced students.
Circle of 5th's
Giant Floor Circle of 5th's
Here is a picture I took of my version.  I would like to have used different colours but I have tons of pink card stock to use up!
To Market To Market
You are an expert in your field.
People trust you and they trust their children to you
 because they value your expertise.  
There are also many others in our field of musical instruction.   
On your website, Facebook page, Twitter, and Pinterest accounts,
be sure to give acknowledgement to other people in your field
who can provide valuable knowledge to the families with which you work.  
 We all had to learn from someone else, so
share what others have to offer with your families.
It will reflect well on you and your business when others see
that you value other people in your field.

No comments: