Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Red Vest
January Greetings!

I was sitting in Starbucks recently, preparing for a final exam, when a young family sat down at a table next to me. I like to study at Starbucks sometimes because, unlike at home, I don't get distracted with all the things that need doing around the house and studio. The father looked over at me, sauntered by my table sort of looking at me, it was weird and bent over to take a closer look as it turned out, at the MYC logo on my red vest.

He said, "Do you teach MYC? We just
moved here and we are looking for a MYC teacher." It turns out their friend is a MYC teacher in their previous town and now they were looking for one here. Our conversation led to them giving me their names, address and asked me to contact them about lessons for their children in the fall. It was wonderful two new students!

How awesome is that! I didn't even have to strike up a conversation.  The MYC logo on my red vest did the marketing and branding for me. Things like this don't happen all the time but this time it wouldn't have happened at all had it not been for my MYC vest. 

When it snows in the Lower Mainland few people want to drive if they don't have to. This winter season I'm offering parents the opportunity to join our class virtually.   So instead of going out in the co
ld and braving the treacherous roads, I am having parents and students join me via Google Plus.  Google Plus is a great way to connect with families. (More on how it works, below.)

Have a great day, keep warm to those of you in the deep cold and bring out your umbrella's those in the rainy Midwest!

Keeping warm in my red vest, 
         Mrs. Lois  

My Red Vest
MYC Certified Teacher
Solo Time Music Games
    info@solotimemusicgames.com     
Game of the Month


Postage is always free with an order of six or more games within Canada and continental USA.
To Market To Market -  Skype and Google Plus
It doesn't always snow here in B.C.'s Lower Mainland during the winter season but when it does, few people want to drive since most people don't have snow tires on their vehicles. My experience has been that some parents won't come to lessons when it snows. My home is situated on a big hill and if the street hasn't been sanded it can be quite slippery. A few intrepid parents will brave the snow and the hill and come to lessons anyway but many choose to just stay home. 

With this in mind, this winter I'm offering the option for my students and parents to join the class via Skype if there is only one student or via Google Plus if there are two or more attending.
 
The way I see it is, they have set that hour aside to come to class anyway so it's a wonderful option to be able to sit by the computer and watch the class rather than miss it. If they have a laptop computer that can be moved near the piano, they can  join in and play along!

I know this is not a new idea for some of you but I thought it was worth sharing once again for those who may not be utilizing the available technology.  Contact me if you would like an invite to Google Plus.
Resources - Composer Tricks
Composer Tricks 
  I spent some time fixing up my Composer Tricks teaching aids and now they are available on line for you teaching pleasure and use. 
I start composing by teaching Composer Tricks. 
It's fun, quick and the students love hearing their two measure Motive and Composer Trick
 just after they write it.

No comments: