Friday, November 11, 2011

        October 2011This fall season has been a busy one for me. I have been preparing for lessons and traveling; getting orders ready to ship out and attending a wonderful MYC conference. On top of all that, I decided to go back to school and finish my degree.If it seems like a lot, it is, but I have found that when I arrange all my tasks in order of priority I do a pretty good job of getting everything accomplished.

My husband very generously gave me an iPad for my birthday (which helps!) and I have been using it in my classes and with my private students.  (See below for ideas from teachers who have created apps for it.)

Now that fall schedules are in full swing, I trust that your routine has fallen into place and life is as normal and calm for you as it can be!

In other news, my little grandson, Jakob, has been in our family for one year now and has brought us all much joy and pleasure. I am delighted to report that I plan to spending Christmas with him in Alberta this year. Oh, and with his parents, too.                                           
 
Jakob



Musicallyours,

  

Mrs. Lois

MYC Certified Teacher
info@solotimemusicgames.com 


Game of the month - Pyramid Triads
           
  Intervals are an important part of music and are used in
sight reading, composing and playing.


pyramid triads
Using this featured game, children familiarize themselves with theory concepts like intervals, inversions, and root positions  through a fun, hands-on experience. Once they have grasped the concepts they can then apply them directly to analyzing a piece of music and playing it with confidence.

Check out the new teaching aids available for you to print
 for your students.


To  Market To Market - iPad
The iPad is a great resource and the more I use it the more comfortable I become with it.

I am finding that I use it most with private students working through the Christopher-Norton American Popular Piano Series.  Many of my students have not listened to a lot of jazz, blues, swing or Latin music and consequently have no concept of the musical style. So out comes the iPad and off to YouTube we go. After a quick search we find music in the style we are studying and the student has the opportunity to quickly get a feel for that musical genre.
 
In my MYC classes last month I allowed students to play major and minor thirds on the iPad app called Virtuoso. Not only is it fun for today's techno-savvy students, but they can hear and see the change from a major 3rd to a minor 3rd.  Of course, they can also play it on the piano but when you can play it on the iPad, why not use the technology?

I have uploaded and used Wendy Chan's and Anne Crosby's creations to put more fun into teaching musical concepts on the iPad. Take a look at their websites for more ideas you may be able to use with your own students.

No comments: