Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Mother's Jewelry and Wrinkles

I could never figure out why my mother had so much jewelry.

In a little girls eyes, my mother had tons of jewels and could never wear it all.
But, she was always buying new stuff. I could never understand it.
A person just needs a few basic earrings, pearls,
a couple of diamonds (fake or real), just the simple stuff or so I thought.

But as I aged, the more jewelry I seemed to acquire.
It baffled me as to why I had this unconscious need for more
earrings, bracelets and necklaces.
Was I becoming my mothers daughter?
Or was there some other sub-conscious reason as to why I was making these purchases?

One day I was trying to reason my way out of a new pair of earrings,
I looked in the mirror and I noticed a new wrinkle.
I immediately bought the earrings.
Sometime later, I was trying on bracelets and notice a new liver spot on my hand,
I paid $60.00 for the one I had on.
I was never a big fan of necklaces until I noticed the skin sagging on my neck and chest from too many years of sun tanning.

And then one day it hit me! I was buying jewelry to hide the fact that I was aging.
I was sub-consciously hoping all the pieces that were accumulating in my jewelry box was taking away the focus of my ever
increasing wrinkles,lines, spots and sagging skin!

Now I'm not saying that wrinkles were my mother's reasons for
purchasing jewelry (although she did have over 300 pairs of earrings
at last count) but there is a common theme between mother and daughter here.
When I look at her, I have the same lines on the upper lip, a spot in the same place on our hands and I really don't want
to mention any other lines and spots in honour of my mother as she would never want me to mention them
but could there be a world wide theme to the purchases of such jewelry? (Other than the fact that the men in our lives can't think of nothing else to buy for us.)

I guess each woman is entitled to her own reasons for acquiring jewelry. But as life shows no signs of making me any younger and if the acquisition of the odd pair of earrings is my way of dealing with this process,
I consciously say, with purpose and dignity, upward and
onward to Michael Hill, Ben Moss, Peoples, Fifth Avenue and fabulous independent jewelers everywhere,
Thanks.
(At last count I had around 40 pairs of earrings)

No comments: